How to eat with New Dentures
Did you know that due to the possible overcompensation of any existing natural teeth (for example: chewing on the natural anterior(front) teeth because of a lack of posterior(back) teeth), chewing may need to be relearned? With time and patience, we can help you master eating with your new dentures. Here are some tips on how to eat with your new denture.
Did you know that eating without teeth or dentures can lead to a variety of health issues such as gum and jaw issues as well Gastrointestinal Problems?
Eating with New Dentures
Eating with your new dentures may require a bit of strategy that before may not have even been thought about. With natural teeth, each individual tooth is anchored to your jawbone by a root. A denture base sits on top of your gums freely or is held in place by an anchoring tooth (partial dentures). What does this all mean exactly? You may have to learn to bite and chew in a different way. When biting with natural teeth, the tendency is to pull forward or sideways. With dentures you must practice chewing on both sides of the mouth at the same time to prevent the dentures from rocking or dislodging.
TIPS FOR EATING WITH YOUR NEW DENTURES
- Bite on your back teeth- If you can, try to do the majority of your biting and chewing on the back teeth, evenly distributing food between both sides of your mouth. Avoid biting with the anterior teeth as this can cause suction of the upper plate to fail.
- Start with softer food such as fish, cooked vegetables oatmeal, and scrambled eggs while avoiding sticky or chewy foods. This will allow you to relearn to chew with both sides of your mouth slowly in order to prevent your dentures from dislodging. As time progresses you will be able to incorporate more foods into your regime.
- Cut food up into smaller pieces- Since Digestion begins in the mouth, it is important that you eat smaller pieces of food that will allow you to chew slowly and thoroughly. Being able to chew one’s food and having a proper diet is absolutely essential to your overall mental and physical well-being.
- Food Temperature– Be mindful by testing hot foods on your lips as dentures may disguise how hot your food is and can lead to a burn. Don’t hold hot liquids in your mouth (This can loosen bottom dentures).
- Drink plenty of water with your meals. This will aid in both chewing and digestion.
- Sit down while you eat If you are used to eating on the go, keep in mind you’ll likely need to take your time eating for the first while. Have patience with yourself and your new dentures.
Dietary Suggestions for Denture Wearers
Dairy, Meat & Protein: Scrambled eggs, yogurt, fish, and legumes.
Fruit: Cooked, pureed, or soft fruits like banana, pear, and melon.
Starches: Oatmeal, muffins, mashed potato, pasta & rice.
It is important to remember to have a balanced diet that is not reliant on liquid alone. Please consult your Denturist at Minuk Denture Clinic if you are having trouble eating and together, we will find the solution!
Eating without Dentures or Teeth
People may put off getting new dentures for a variety of reasons. They may have perhaps become accustomed to ill-fitting dentures or worn-down dentures. There are also possible financial constraints or, the denture wearer has simply become fed up with ill-fit dentures and given up trying to eat with them.
Since digestion starts in the mouth, eating with no teeth can lead to gum irritation and gastrointestinal problems. The process of chewing helps send signals to your gastrointestinal system that the digestive process is to begin. Pieces of food that are not properly chewed will take a longer time for our bodies to digest which could lead to missed nutrients, indigestion, and flatulence. Our bodies may lose out on important vitamins it needs to keep us moving.
Adjusting to eating with new dentures may take some time but with practice and patience, the Denturists at Minuk Denture Clinic will have you eating the foods you love in no time!
Minuk Digital Denture and Implant Clinic Centre is Canada’s largest Denture Clinic located in Winnipeg, Manitoba. With over 100,000+ dentures created since 1977, our team is confident that we can help you love your smile again. Minuk has denture solutions for all budgets and is here to help you understand the cost of dentures and the process of getting new dentures. Our team of denturists and expert staff are here to help you get the smile you’ve always wanted. Check out our Smile Stories and learn more about the Minuk difference by reviewing our website or calling us at 204.589.6329. Book your Free Consultation Today!